Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Review #12: Earthworm Jim



Remember this game? No? Well, that's not too big a surprise, as this game fell into obscurity at one point, due to not having the "it" factor. Well, I agree AND disagree with that, as the game is actually funny... if you can get far enough through it. And chances are you won't make it through the second level, unless you are VERY, VERY good with your reflexes.


Otherwise, I pity the fool (sorry, I had to say that).


Anyway, time for categorization.


Graphics: Great graphics for sure, they made good use of the Genesis's (or SNES's) capabilities. Animation is smooth, and there's no slowdown. I'll give graphics a 10/10.


Sound: Another good one, the music is often ironic (for example, the elevator music in the "firey heck" level), and also has no problems. I'll say 8/10.


Story: Well, I feel sorrowful, but this is another "save-the-princess" storyline, but is very funny. Let's see what I can remember (a-hem):


In a galaxy far, far, away...


Professor Monkey-for-a-Head creates a super-ultra-powerful-suit-thing, and it is to be given to Queen Pulsating, Bloated, Festering, Sweaty, Pus-filled, Malformed Slug-for-a-Butt. But then some other thing called Psy-Crow tries to steal it, and the suit falls down to Planet Earth and lands on a normal earthworm named Jim (no, not THAT Jim). The now-intelligent earthworm goes out to stop old (insert queen's name here), and save Princess What's-Her-Name.


Yeah, I'm sure that' probably the stupidest story for a video game you've ever heard (yes, that really was the story; if you don't believe me, go look on Wikipedia, because I probably messed up the story), but you have to give credit to the makers of the game for the creativity!!! Story gets: 8/10.



Gameplay: Let me put it this way: It is SO funny, but SO hard. If only the laughs were abundant enough to outdo the frustration...


Okay, so you go around controlling the suit and shooting your ray gun and using your head as a whip. Sound easy? Well, the levels are very hard, as are most of the bosses. You really need the major skills to beat them. But if you do, the game can be very entertaining. For that, I'll abandon my opinion and give the gameplay a: 9/10.


Controls: Um, fine. 10/10.


FINAL SCORE:


10+8+8+9+10= 45. 45/5= 9/10.


Verdict: Like difficult yet funny games? Definitely get this one.

No comments: